Library Resources and Activities
World Book online
Browse to http://worldbookonline.com
Enter the user name: stambrose1 and the password: school
A love of reading changes everything. Accelerated Reader encourages our students: they read a book, take an AR Quiz, and get immediate feedback. Kids get excited and motivated when they see their progress.
Find books in the catalogs of the St. Ambrose School library and the Fairfax County library
Book Fair Schedule for 2016-17 School Year
Fall Fair: Thursday, November 10, 2016 – Tuesday, November 15, 2016.
- Thursday, November 10 – Students make Wish Lists
- Friday, November 11 – Open for sales : 8:15 – 4:00. (Students must be accompanied by an adult.)
- Sunday, November 13 – Open for sales : 9:00 am – 1:30 pm.
- Monday, November 14 – Open for sales : 8:15 – 3:00.
- Tuesday, November 15 – Open for sales : 8:15 – 1:00. Pack up at 1:00.
Summer Reading Fair: Thursday, June 1, 2017 – Friday, June 2, 2017.
- Thursday, June 1 – Students make with lists; Open for sales : 3:10 – 6:00.
- Friday, June 2, 2017 – Open for sales : 8:15 – 2:00. Pack up at 2:00.
Battle of the Books
Students in fifth sixth grades read books from the year’s schedule, which includes books from a variety of genres, including humor, fantasy, historical fiction, classics, mystery and nonfiction. They meet twice a month to discuss the assigned book. Students discover that they like a variety of books, and enjoy analyzing the plot, the author’s techniques, and the questions raised by what they’ve read.
Each May, they meet as a team to compete with other diocesan schools in the Diocese of Arlington’s Battle of the Books competition.
This program nurtures an excitement about reading, enriching students’ love of literature.
Contact our librarian
Contact our librarian, Mrs. Marcia Healy, at email@example.com
Learn more about Mrs. Healy by reading her biography.